Friday, August 1, 2014

Summer Sundancin

I like to set a light mood for these blogs, usually that means an awkward story about my name.


Here goes,
     
 So I had the pleasure of observing the Native American way of life out on a reservation this summer. As with any cross cultural experience, my guard was up and I was very mindful about what I said so as not to offend anyone. When I was introduced to the chief, he looked at me straight in the eye and with no shame at all said, 

“what ARE you?”

My friend couldn't contain herself and started crying with laughter, as I tried explaining to him that I was of Mexican descent, living in California. Then we told him my name and then he started crying with laughter.

Since they didn't allow cameras on the reservation, here's a picture in San Miguel Allende. I'll write more about that in a later post.


Anyways, here’s a poem,

As you read it, remind yourself of who YOU are and what sort of things DEFINE you. What sort of things don't need to define you?


You can find yourself when you find a home
When you know where you belong
So why do we wander
Why do we wait?
What are we looking for?
Will we find it out in the seas?
Or waiting at the shore

No comments:

Post a Comment